Xeni Gwet’in Community-based Climate Adaptation Implementation
Designed and implemented priority adaptation measures recommended from the Xeni Gwet’in Adaptation Plan (2009). Projects included a combination of livelihood resilience and disaster risk reduction measures :
- reducing forest fuel around buildings in the reserve,
- assessing the local airstrips for large scale emergency evacuation and ingress of water bombers,
- range management planning for cattle grazing,
- alternative agriculture development planning,
- water conservation training for households,
- cattle management training for water protection,
- food preservation training,
- greenhouse construction with drip irrigation and
- greenhouse growing instruction, and
- integrating adaptation objectives into government planning.
Undertaken for the Xeni Gwet’in First Nation, 2010-11.